Thursday, June 15, 2006

the one to beat...

i put up for offer the following ::track of the summer::
everyone is a VIP to someone by the go! team - the final track on their album thunder lightening strike.

please feel free to offer others to create a virtual compilation. songs do not have to be recently released, but they have to be worthy of blasting out of your favourite cafe and make passers cock their ear and smile and currently be getting airplay on your stereo.

my chosen track has been a strong leader on my iPod in the recent sunshine... it makes me want to wave at strangers and take someone by the hand and give 'em a twirl, or indeed to be given a piggy back ride to the corner shop for a choc ice, making sure to speak into my trusted steed's ear guarantees of VIP status in my life.

this is what i hear...

::lemon jelly are guest appearing on sesame street and joined mid-way through by the degrassi junior high school band. the air is filled with the fragrance of light summer rain on earth. kids are running around with laughing faces covered in ice cream. teenagers are helping the elderlies carry their groceries. policemen shimmy in the street. adults put down their tools and defences to look each other in the eye and grin. welcome to the kingdom::

LB,x

post-script: after posting the above i headed down through botanic gardens to the cafe to pick up some lunch. feeling nervous about an approaching necessary, but guaranteed difficult, conversation i played the above track to lift my spirits. it did its job and serendipity provided the live action to go with...a line of about 25 five and six year olds of every race on god's good earth walking past the bird house, hands linked with the one in front and the one behind. all cute as buttons, the girls in red and white gingham dresses, the boys in tomato red sweatshirts... many of the kids with heads lolling back on their necks gazing off up into the trees...some clearly off in their own little kingdoms of imagination as they clumsily moved along in little steps... a few yards on by the glass house and out on the expanse of grass there were more children, these in pale blue sweat shirts, running to and fro... some playing kickabout with a ball, one pretending to be an aeroplane...with their shouts and laughter in the background, i walked in step with music, and just damn well grinned, thinking good thoughts of my VIPs...xo

8 comments:

  1. Have been listening to the best of nina simone and want to throw in "Aint got no, I've got life" ..... it slowly builds up and i see nina walking through trafalgar square with all of us dancing behind her in slow but sexy jazzy way - yet strangely still able to sip from our sloe gin and tonics ....and then as we reach the I got life climax we all jump into the fountain and thow our drinks in the air .....at which point Nina segways into Feeling Good and the brass section dressed as madness appears walking towards us fountain revellers ........ yeah I'm feeling good ..

    love m

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh mark. the images. you are fab though. and i hope you are including me in your sexy jazz dance...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just staggered that I had TOTALLY forgotten about Sloe Gin until this moment. Yikes! Must get me some of that sweet summer flavour right now!

    My summer tune? At the moment it's "Sing To Me" from the new Snow Patrol album...

    Shut your eyes and think of somewhere
    Somewhere cold and caked in snow
    By the fire we break the quiet
    Learn to wear each other well

    And when the worrying starts to hurt
    and the world feels like graves of dirt
    Just close your eyes until
    you can imagine this place,
    our secret space, at will

    Shut your eyes, I spin the big chair
    And you'll feel dizzy, light, and free
    And falling gently on the cushion
    You can come and sing to me

    And when the worrying starts to hurt
    and the world feels like graves of dirt
    Just close your eyes until
    you can imagine this place,
    our secret space, at will

    (Choir x4) Shut your eyes

    Shut your eyes and sing to me
    (Choir x4 Shut your eyes and sing to me


    mmmmm
    Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:56 pm

    Alright,

    I submit the song "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley to your summertime mix. I have not been able to come up with one but today driving around Nashvegas in the 95 degrees of heat this one popped up on the Ipod and it just was right....

    Go and download it. I will be surprised if you are disappointed......

    ReplyDelete
  5. good choice gar.

    those of us on the right side of the atlantic are more than familiar with this track.

    As far as i know gnarls barkley's crazy was first track to get to UK number one by downloads only...in big part thanks to radio one... who played it at the end of last year as far as i know...they were No1 for ages and i thought i heard they stepped down from the 'top of the pops' by cancelling the download.

    LB,x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:39 am

    Ok. I've held back and deliberated and analysed... but here's my offering. Tom Waits- Ol' 55. I've been loving driving to work with Tom.... profundity, grace and incredible sing-along-ness (which I know you find important).
    Much love to you my dear... I'll be missing you.

    Well my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55
    As I drove away slowly, feeling so holy, God knows, I was feeling alive.

    Now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks,
    Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade
    Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,
    Oh, Lord, let me tell you that the feeling's getting stronger.

    And it's six in the morning, gave me no warning; I had to be on my way.
    Well there's trucks all a-passing me, and the lights are all flashing,
    I'm on my way home from your place.

    And now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks,
    Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade
    Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,
    Oh, Lord, let me tell you that the feeling's getting stronger.

    And my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55
    As I pulled away slowly, feeling so holy, God knows, I was feeling alive.

    Now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck,
    Freeway cars and trucks, freeway cars and trucks, freeway cars and trucks...

    adt

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah willow - great choice.

    a favourite song of mine if every there was one and from an *amazing* album.

    that is a winner. i'm desperately hoping ::closing time:: is in the gigantic music collection that's on our collective ipods and laptops for some late nite listening en france.

    susan asked me the other night if i had a books or films that act as a suitability/compatability test for potential significant others... i never really thought about it before. she said the EBG club could discuss over wine...
    well, before books and films, music would always be my first consideration IF i ever gave thought to such a thing.

    this turns me into a puddle of contented mush every time and renders me incapable of sitting upright. the way to this girl's heart is through her ears...

    LB, x

    ReplyDelete