Friday, August 03, 2007

i'm hiding

points of information pertaining to said self concealment...

1. i detest social networking sites.
2. there is a reason why i have an online alter ego.
3. i look back on my teenage years in school with bitter loathing.
4. in the last few hours i registered with facebook.

the idealist in me wants to be able to say it is a nice to have another way to say 'hi' to people i like and love. but the cynical realist in me is placing a bet i last a week.
yet, i will be the first to raise my hand and say i was wrong and that online social networking is the apex of community building and a masterstroke in the evolution of human bonding, if i should find that to be the case.

but frankly, i like refuges. harbours. safe places. if i wanted to exist in an environment in which one's profile is primarily defined by the number of one's 'friends', rather than the quality, i would indeed don my uniform and in the words of frankie avalon, turn in my teasin' comb and go back to high school...

5. i was just offered the chance to "pimp my profile" with glitter.

LB,x

1 comment:

  1. hey babe.
    The weird thing about facebook is that it doesn't list the number of friends you have on the front page... and that's why I like it! it's NOT a popularity contest.

    sorry you got spammed with the whole 'pimp my profile' thing. that's just SOOO MySpace/SOOO 1995. ;o)

    (get rid of that Top Friends application! horrid!)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete