Thursday, April 13, 2006

mädchenenergie…

sorry for distinct lack of posting... this is a snapshot of the past 10 ten days, which has been in the writing since monday...
which i guess speaks to what's speaking to my soul...it'll probably wander all over the place.. you can pull any themes together at your pleasing...as i type, myself and jon preston are sitting facing each other on the CG sofas and nodding our heads in time to the arcade fire...

let me start by welcoming ben. nice to have you and your dreds in the neighbourhood my friend. i must also apologise that i omitted to disclose that two saturday's ago - the day i lost my wallet, ben treated me to a couple of my 'specials'. and that was before i knew i'd lost my purse. it was an oversight on my part. thank you ben. and thank you too for the gift of 'the preacher'. any comic compared to flannery o'connor has gotta be worth a look.

graphic depictions
sigfield gave me more homework. so this past weekend, brought to you by the word, disassociation, was filled with me drawing in a big sketch pad. jayne's hoping to study art therapy and we are both rather fascinated at the struggle it is for me to uncouple myself from the written word when faced with a task such as i have been given. there is something going in the need to be exacting, precise, to articulate myself in such a way that i can explain what i mean... a desire to not be misunderstood or misinterpreted perhaps? or is it just performance anxiety... words and sometimes images flow so easily when spontaneous, but ask me to write or draw and i battle with it... that's an apology as much as anything to paul for my delay in getting my work-in-progress for the greenbelt website completed... it's getting there my friend but not without a struggle... i was terrified to just find my name on the site...

group mentality
The group therapy session for Chris was a fascinating experience and he and the class seemed pretty satisfied by our performances. taught everyone a lot about the difficulties of building a safe space. the'facilitators' who were, as predicted, terrified, hardly got any of our back stories... none of us opened up any more than our individual characters would feel comfortable with in the moment... i'd definately revist the experience. it was an incredible feeling to feel one's own personality be taken over by that of my character so that i began to respond without my own consciousness worrying what the facilitators thought... there's something highly therapeutic about acting. food for thought indeed.

bibliophellation
Been reading zoe heller’s, notes on a scandal. I would have read it quicker but i put it aside for a week so the experience would last longer. but alas it's over... she uses the pen like a scalpel. chillingly cold in her characterisations and dissection of motivations. this is the kind of writing that makes me jealous. not a word out of place. superb economy. i'm not sure i'd rec this for the beach. it's too dark for sunshine. spend a day curled up in bed and read in a one-er. thoroughly gripping from start to finish.

well worth the ticket price

Tsotsi


family by choice

enjoyable hanging out time and chat with keli and mccleary on saturday. needless to say i am loving intentional time spent with the former - i think we'll do a more than okay job of this home sharing deal (we're level 5-ing as much as possible and committed to being open and honest from the get-gop about what we need to make it work) and i am excited that the pencil plan for mccleary is a return to his homeland post-greenbelt. it'll be a joy to have him back in the neighbourhood so here's hoping it all works out as he wishes.

the village
if i even start on this now i'll be writing for a week. needless to say, i watched this for the first time on saturday night with jayne, susan and 2 decidedly nervous 12 year olds, ella and julia, and LOVED it. this just might be my fave of night shyamalan's films so far. high girl power quotient. i felt this movie in my gut.


marathon
sunday night saw an instalment of club du cinema (what we call the good dr’s sunday night film showings…). Recently music's been a strong theme and we have watched, sweet charity, all that jazz, rent. sunday saw us watching all 3 of the qatsi trilogy. i think the first is worth a watch - found huge resonances with the work of coupland and GenX fears in it myself, but the second and third i don't think i'd bother revisiting, although they had some moments that were impactful.
http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org/films/film.php

received with thanks
Danke für das Buch, mein hoher Freund. ich leibe die Fotographien.

highlights in brief
padraig and i pissed ourselves laughing as we had our first league of gentlemen conversation since he bought the first series boxset.

got to talk to jude on the phone. (looks like we're hitting Provence at end of june for some seriously redemptive relaxation)

presmo and me had some intentional level 5. its a cool experience to see someone open up to you. an honour. and today he gave me some fair trade chocolate as a treat in my take away from CGs... sweet. :0)

looking ahead:
good friday to be spent with mark, willow and i hope, the mullingtons
then
saturday-monday sees a roadtrip to Dublin with jayne and ricky. we're staying with my folks and plan to make liberal use of our cameras

right. that's enough for now. i hope to get back into the swing of posting in the coming few days. this blog in the past, i realise, has been a place for grounding me. now i have sigmund, i think i'm having to reorient myself a bit. it's changed the focus of my week and i've been busy doing my homework. i've filled about 10 A2 pages with images and words. it's been hard work but it's revealing a lot of stuff to me and i've been feeling brighter amidst the transition.

love to all. may this season of rebirth bring us hard core hope and clarity.

LB, x

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:47 pm

    I am so with you on the Village. I bought it with no notion of whether I would like it or not but loved it. I will say it is the only movie that I thought my heart stopped for one brief moment, out of sheer terror, in fact. Don't want to spoil anything for anyone so I won't say where......but he is indeed one wondeful maker of the suspense film.......and what a ending. Didn't quite see it coming......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:53 pm

    this is weird... there must be something in the air cary... i have spent the last two weeks ploughing through all nine volumes of the preacher...

    i really liked the village too but i think i would have been happier if it had ended 15 minutes earlier... i think my beef with it is the same as with signs... i wish shyamalan would realise that his films have so much more to offer than a twist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pencil plan sounds great to you... but suddenly seemed all too real at this end. I always knew he was only ours for a while - but I kinda got used to having him around.

    maybe I should start *really* working on my own wee escape plan...

    ReplyDelete