Thursday, November 09, 2006

almost home

word up.

dublin's olympia...

very weird to be back stage in a venue i've been in so many times in my youth.
concession tonight which means i get paid for someone else to do my job. nice. just need to make sure i stay the right side of sober as i need to count the takings at the end of the night and sign my name.

but for once i've been for a sit down meal with the band before the gig, which was a pleasant treat to have hot food and company on a work night.

in a few hours we'll arrive in belfast and when i wake i'll be a short hop from home. i'll be able to make my first coffee in the commune, unless i take the band and crew for an ulster fry. very excited to be going home.

tomorrow (fri) i'll be getting a tattoo. and saturday i'll be dropping by the cafe to get a special from ben, who rang while i was in galway for chat.
and best of all i'll get to fall into familiar embraces and hear the voices that let me know i'm home.

it's been an absolute trip, and i'd be up for doing this all again now i have a taste for it, but
colour me really excited to be getting 24 hours of 'the nest' before the final 2 gigs.

pete was doing a promo on the radio today and doing his desert island album. he chose tom wait's closing time. i've given my thoughts on that album here before.

but these are the waits' lyrics that spring to mind tonight as i feel the anticipation of returning...

San Diego Serenade

I never saw the morning 'til I stayed up all night
I never saw the sunshine 'til you turned out the light
I never saw my hometown until I stayed away too long
I never heard the melody, until I needed a song.

I never saw the white line, 'til I was leaving you behind
I never knew I needed you 'til I was caught up in a bind
I never spoke 'I love you' 'til I cursed you in vain,
I never felt my heartstrings until I nearly went insane.

I never saw the east coast 'til I move to the west
I never saw the moonlight until it shone off your breast
I never saw your heart 'til someone tried to steal,
tried to steal it away
I never saw your tears until they rolled down your face.

we've got something very special going on in belfast. we really have. i've met so many new people, experienced many things for the first time and been taken right out of my comfort zone, but for all the rock star touring coolness, if i had to choose, there are those i know i'd choose to be with hands down everytime.

you've been missed. can't wait to see your smile...

LB,x

3 comments:

  1. cary darlin - my other home - the place that sharpens.....

    Waits and belfast dovetail beautifully - i hope to make it there soon

    p x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey cary

    glad you're coming home and it's been a good time - sorry i missed you before you went...and that i'm not in belfast to be part of the welcome party...but am in les etats unis...look forward to seeing you soon...and now that i know the duke's favourite album is the one that mr chambers introduced me to, and that used to be on the hifi in front of the cburn fire, i feel much more connected to back home right now...glad you mentioned 'closing time' here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am pleased it's been a good experience - I haven't listened to those lyrics for quite some time, but reading them brings back deepfelt feelings, cheers for posting them - am off to dig them out now!
    enjoy your weekend and your new art work :-) RD,x

    ReplyDelete