Tuesday, December 13, 2005

biting the cherry


in a week, half the folks i know in belfast will be at ::the frames:: in the ulster hall. for some it is their first time.

so. this is for them.
from here on in we're gonna be diving headlong into some frames lyrics we are likely to hear. . .

i asked ewan to nominate the first one. he has picked star star** as a tribute to his friend rosie at l'arche, who died last week, aged 42. rosie's story is a remarkable one. she brought immense joy to her community and they are all devastated that she is gone. ewan said when he went to l'arche this track took on a whole new meaning. he just wrote to me,

it could have been written about any number of people i spent time with... i used to think about my friend michael barrett a lot when i heard it...
there's something about their presence that is so beautifully honest and open that made me reflect and realise i had so much to learn from them... and learning how to shine was one of those things...

Star Star
** listen here

Star star teach me how to shine shine
Teach me so I know what's going on in your mind
'Cause I don't understand these people
Who say the hill's to steep
Well they talk and talk forever
But they just never climb

Falling down into situations
Bringing out the best in you
You're flat on your back again
And star you're ever word I'm heeding
Can you help me to see
I'm lost in the marsh

Star star teach me how to shine shine
Teach me so I know what's going on in your mind
'Cause I don't understand these people
Who say we're all asleep
They'll toss and turn forever
But no rest will they find...

and from me, here's the incredible God Bless Mom, which i think i posted way back in memory of my mother. . .but these days i take ownership of the hard-ness which i used to associate so much with her. . . you'll see how hard it can be. . .there is a desperation to this that i totally love - a raw energy and yet will to survive and a tender love. . . so this goes to those fellow sojourners for whom some days are a test of their own endurance. . .and especially those who know what it means to have a far from straightforward relationship with their mother on that journey . . .you know who you are. . .you are loved. . .and you are not alone. . .

listen here for the breathtaking live version from Set List. turn it up to 11 and let yourself fly out of your fucking mind. . . this is ::such:: an amzing rock out track. . .

(and here's an additional North by Northwest live version, (it sounds like a bootleg) supplied by ewan:

http://www.archive.org/download/frames2003-10-11.aud.shn/
frames2003-10-11t05_vbr.mp3)


God Bless Mom

God bless mom
Best of all
Spread your wings
Fly or fall

You'll see how hard it can be
To keep your side of the deal
And you'll see how hard it can be
To keep one foot in the real

God bless you
Strong and true
Stay at home
Good as gold

And you'll see how hard it can be
To keep your side of the deal
And you'll see how hard it can be
To keep one foot in the real

LB, x

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Star Star**, it's one of the only Frames songs I really *know* 'cause it was on a mix-tape I was given years ago. Wish I could be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will have to rectify that... you should try and see them next time they play london.

    love you,
    x.

    ReplyDelete