Tuesday, November 08, 2005

sorrow and love flow mingled down

Pádraig was really struck by the juxtaposition of these lyrics on saturday night. So here they are. Pád sang the first and Ricky and Gail the second. needless to say, it was spine-tingling. . . and i was uncharacteristically speechless.

Kirsty - your use of the word dreich made me beam and my my scots blood quiver.

much love to all.
keep it real friends. ::this is not a rehearsal and we have nothing to lose but our pride::
cary. x

Jude - this is for you . . .x

Van Diemen's Land


Hold me now, oh hold me now
'til this hour has gone around
And I'm gone on the rising tide
For to face Van Diemen's land

It's a bitter pill I swallow here
To be rent from one so dear
We fought for justice and not for gain
But the magistrate sent me away

Now kings will rule and the poor will toil
And tear their hands as they tear the soil
But a day will come in this dawning age
When an honest man sees an honest wage

Hold me now, oh hold me now
'til this hour has gone around
And I'm gone on the rising tide
For to face Van Diemen's land

When i survey the Wondrous Cross
 When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the death of Christ, my God;
all the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.

1 comment: