Tuesday, November 15, 2005

now we have slept . . .


when i grow up i think i'd like to be aimee mann.

nothing quite like sharing your favourite music with another. my office mate claire is loving
mann's voice as it spils out across our desks and surrounds our busyness with a languid desperation. . .sweet.

so, from my most loved album of 2002 (mann's lost in space) here's my favourite track. actually, as soon as i say that i feel sorry for all the great tracks i have rejected in the process of having a favouirte. this album ROCKS. no collection should be without it. the whole thing is a work of raw beauty. and in recollecting whispers from a conversation of the weekend, if we can only hope there will be enough beauty to heal us, then this is a could be a place to start. . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INVISIBLE INK

There comes a time when you swim or sink
So I jumped in the drink
Cuz I couldn't make myself clear

Maybe I wrote in invisible ink
Oh I've tried to think
How I could have made it appear

But another illlustration is wasted
Cuz the results are the same
I feel like a ghost who's trying to move your hands
over some Ouija board in the hopes I can spell out my name

What some take for magic at first glance
Is just sleight of hand depending on what you believe
Something gets lost when you translate
It's hard to keep straight
Perspective is everything

And I know now which is which and what angle I oughta look at it from
I suppose I should be happy to be misread-
Better be that than some of the other things I have become

But nobody wants to hear this tale
The plot is clichéd, the jokes are stale
And baby we've all heard it all before
Oh i could get specific but
Nobody needs a catalog
With details of love I can't sell anymore

And aside from that, this chain of reaction,
baby, is losing a link
Though I'd hope you'd know what I tried to tell you
And if you don't I could draw you a picture in invisible ink

But nobody wants to hear this tale
The plot is clichéd, the jokes are stale
And baby we've all heard it all before
Oh i could get specific but
Nobody needs a catalog
With details of love I can't sell anymore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you can get details of her new album at her official site.
i'm gonna purchase the forgotten arm in toron'o - cause that's where i bought lost in space. . .nice to have these li'l traditions.it's the little things that are the big things.

salaam.
c, x.

5 comments:

  1. Aimee Mann makes me want to sing. You and I need to get together and do that sometime. Remember the kick-ass version of "ticket to ride?" I sure do. We should see if Aimee will come over to Padraig and Dani's... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh baby - that's the best offer of the week so far. ;)

    and yes, i remember ticket to ride.

    YOU make me wanna sing. not today though. i lost my voice over the weekend. although it does now have a somewhat husky quality.

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:25 pm

    No better way to sing Fiona Apple than with a bit of a rasp. Even a cold.

    I did my homework, C. I learned Patti Griffin's Rain. Sing it for ya when I get the chance. You made me wanna sing that one. Just 'cause you loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess who the anonymous comment was from!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright... It was me. And the offer still stands.

    ReplyDelete