Tuesday, September 29, 2009

caught my ear

the latest Speaking of Faith, Living Islam features loads of Helios to _beautiful_ effect. 

you can hear the full playlist here. but i recommend the programme. some powerful reflections
from American Muslims on their sense of national and religious identity. this is a particularly striking interview, with Allee A. Ramadhan Sr. 
  
Feruze Faison's story is also really worth the time...


Recently, when I was attending the mosque, I noticed young people learning to recite the 114 Suras of the Quran. Those who have accomplished that effort have truly taken on and succeeded at a wonderful task. But I could not help but think that understanding is as important as reciting.
For my understanding allows me to recite the whole of the Quran in under five minutes. It is simply "I am the Lord thy God and I am a jealous God. Worship me and me alone." The rest are footnotes. I say that because I see man as pursued by the four horsemen of destruction: arrogance, ignorance, greed, and envy. As I look at man's history I can assign all the wars, human abuses, and man's indifference to suffering to one or more of these horsemen. It is only when we worship the one God as my holy book instructs that we remain humble. - Allee A Ramadahn Sr.


LB

No comments:

Post a Comment